Teradata Application DBAApply Business Unit UTC Aerospace Systems Job ID 56429BR Date posted 11/08/2017 City Windsor Locks State Connecticut Country US
Every second a plane takes off with UTC Aerospace Systems equipment onboard. From space exploration and defense to today’s more electric, more intelligent, more integrated aircraft – our systems make modern flight possible. And by “make it possible,” we mean: we start it, power it, control it, ventilate it, quiet it, land it, stop it and monitor it. We have more than 41,000 employees across 150 countries working at the forefront of technological innovation. Thanks to their efforts, our global reach and our market-leading position, we do big things no one else can do.
Do you want to be part of a new, exciting initiative to combine foundational IT with new digital technologies? Our Digital Technology (DT) team is leading UTC Aerospace Systems to empower digITal. With this initiative, the team is leveraging technology to make our internal work environment more efficient, productive and seamless. For our customers, we’re working to make aircraft more electric, intelligent and integrated. If you’re an agile thinker who enjoys utilizing modern technology to make big improvements, then you’re a perfect fit for this team. Join UTC Aerospace Systems and help us to empower digITal today!
This position in Enterprise Reporting group is responsible for governing and maintaining EDW Teradata platform for UTC Aerospace systems. Responsibilities in this person’s daily activities will include maintaining logical and physical model in support of our reporting semantic layer, database security, support/best practices/operational guidelines to project/maintenance staff, rotations for Primary Support, troubleshooting performance issues and code migrations. This multi-tasking role requires involvement with multiple BI developers, solution architects and project managers.
Provide Teradata Application-DBA level database support and ETL server (Linux) Admin
Logical and physical modeling – Semantic Layer, PI, PK, Tables, Views
Scheduled Daily processes: Macros, Stored Procedures, Data Loads, System Load
Statistics analysis/updates and Stats Collections.
Define roles and privileges and maintain users.
Provide Database security
Teradata workload management
Teradata Space Management, Troubleshoot database related technical issues
Develop, maintain and help enforce best practices and operational guidelines
Monitor the environment to maintain SLA via monitoring tools and implement automated mechanism for pro-active alerts.
Work with Scheduling team to maintain job schedules and dependencies
Take rotations on EDW Primary Support for all planned activities and unplanned production issues to minimize disruption to the business
Work with vendors to open tickets and resolve issues
Establish and enforce technical standards for use by all BI project delivery teams by coaching the teams to apply these standards on a continual basis.
Direct and support the development teams in the use of the selected tools and standards, providing continuity and consistency across projects.
Provide batch optimization, Teradata stored procedure performance tuning, and SQL tuning recommendations
Promote knowledge sharing, Maintain runbooks and technical documents and provide onboarding/coaching for new BI employees and contractors.
Perform ETL code review to make sure it follows the established standards & best practices and Proactively detect any potential issues the migration package might cause
Responsible for EDW code migrations such as DDL , ETL Scripts, Bteq Scripts, procedures, shell scripts and to develop automated migration mechanisms.
Provide regular status reports to management
Perform other duties as requested by supervisor
- 10+ years of IT experience in the areas of Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence in an Agile and Waterfall methodologies.
- 7+ years of experience providing DBA and development support in large-scale enterprise environments primarily using MPP databases such as Teradata or netezza
- 5+ years of experience as Teradata application DBA and thorough knowledge on Teradata architecture (Teradata 14.x, 15.x) and all Teradata components and utilities such as BTEQ, TPT, FastLoad, FastExport, MultiLoad, Tpump, Viewpoint, TASM and working knowledge of Teradata SQL, Teradata Stored Procedure
- Experience in Teradata Version upgrades
- 5+ years of experience in Linux environment and working knowledge in Shell scripting
- Good knowledge of data warehousing concepts, logical/physical database design and dimensional modeling.
- Experience in performance tuning and batch optimization to handle and process huge volume of data.
- In-depth understanding of IT infrastructure such as servers and storage systems, operating systems, virtualization platforms, and disaster recovery tools
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience working with a blended onsite and virtual environment.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear and straightforward manner with a broad range of technical and non-technical users and stakeholders
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects and tasks
- Ability to prioritize, organize, make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure
- Proactive and focused on results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure
- Should be a team player and leader, flexible, hardworking, self-motivated and have a positive outlook with the ability to take on difficult initiatives and challenges
- Teradata 14+ Certified Technical Specialist, Teradata 14+ Certified Database Administrator, or any other Teradata certifications are big plus
- Business Objects or any other BI tool knowledge and experience
- Business knowledge in manufacturing domain and SAP ERP systems exposure.
- Experience in using scheduling tools (AppWorx, Tidal preferred)
- Experience using code repository tools such as GIT, Subversion
- Experience in Informatica ETL Tool.
Four-year degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Engineering or related discipline required
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Our application system undergoes scheduled maintenance the 3rd Saturday of every month from 3am – 11am Eastern Time.
Applications cannot be completed during this outage. Please try back at a later time.