Research EngineerBusinesses UTC AEROSPACE SYSTEMS Job ID 67415BR Date posted 06/12/2018 City Windsor Locks State Connecticut Country US
When the global aerospace community looks for ideas and solutions to its biggest challenges, they turn to the people of UTC Aerospace Systems. We design, invent and deliver the most advanced and diverse range of aerospace systems on the market. We are inventors. We are manufacturers. We work in space exploration, commercial air travel, defense and rescue applications. Always learning and pushing the boundaries, we are an undisputed industry leader that continually sets the bar higher and higher. Come soar with us.
At UTC Aerospace Systems, we believe that innovation starts with our people. That’s why we have over 8,000 engineers located in 70 sites around the globe, across 14 countries. But our Engineering organization is not just a collection of individual businesses. We use our size and expertise to create system solutions that work across all our product lines.
Our industry-leading experts are setting the standards for the aerospace industry and paving the way for the future. But as new challenges present themselves, we need fresh, creative and motivated minds to overcome these hurdles, help us break barriers and achieve new levels of innovation. Do you have what it takes to join a global, diverse organization that doesn’t shy away from big opportunities? If so, we invite you to join our Engineering ranks and create the next generation of aerospace technologies. Together, we will move the world forward!
UTC Aerospace Systems Additive Design and Manufacturing team has an opening for a Process Engineer. Additive Manufacturing (AM) to develop and implement additive manufacturing technologies for a wide variety of aerospace-related product opportunities using a Technology Readiness Level (TRL) tollgate process as a key metric for the advancement of new technologies.
- Execute and oversee builds on various AM machines
- Monitor, troubleshoot and correct issues associated with process or equipment
- Develop and maintain Standard Work, Operation Sheets and Process Sheets for equipment and processes used in Additive Manufacturing
- Execute structured experiments to define process parameters and identify build limitations
- Utilize data driven analysis to support root cause investigations
- Interface with all strategic business units within the company to provide expertise and support in the development and deployment of additive manufacturing techniques and advanced material systems.
- Act as a subject matter expert on a business-wide development team to lead multiple projects.
- Educate engineers to aid in the adoption of AM techniques ensuring engineers know the benefits and limitations of the technology for adaptation in their own roles.
- Identify and implement continuous improvement initiatives aimed at cost reduction or process improvement
- Ensure all safety requirements are met when operating equipment, handling materials and working with parts
- Working knowledge of metallic alloys and microstructure characteristics
- Working knowledge of various metal and plastic additive manufacturing methods including design for additive
- Ability to perform independent research to advance the state of additive manufacturing in support of aggressive product development cycles.
- Ability to design experiments
- A passion for process understanding and variation reduction in application and additive manufacturing process and equipment.
- Familiarity with destructive and non-destructive material testing methods
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with all stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills - written and oral. Expected to support frequent TRL progression review meetings.
- Strong results orientation balanced by concern for people.
- Self-confident and highly motivated.
- US Citizenship required.
- Bachelor of Science in an Engineering discipline is required
- Materials, Manufacturing, or Mechanical Engineering or related technical field with a minimum of 2 years of industrial experience is preferred.
- An advanced degree is highly preferred.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.