System Engineer, Chief Performance and OperationsBusinesses United Technologies Corp. Headquarters Job ID 01319073 Date posted 05/17/2019 City Rockford State Illinois Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:UT20: HS-IL - Corp 134 N. First Street , Rockford, IL, 61107 USA
United Technologies Corporation (UTC; NYSC: UTX) is headquartered in Farmington, CT, just outside of Hartford, CT. We employ over 204,000 talented individuals globally, achieve net sales in excess of $60 billion, and invest $4B each year back into research & development activities. Our aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines and UTC Aerospace Systems – the combination of which make us the largest aerospace company in the world. Our commercial businesses include Otis elevators and escalators and UTC Climate, Controls & Security – a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire and security systems and building automation controls.
United Technologies Corporation was founded by some of the world’s greatest inventors. We helped build the Second Industrial Revolution and brought about a century of urbanization and globalization. Now we need your help to build the next one.
Tech@UTC is the UTC technology organization, comprised of the global engineering function, several focused centers of expertise, our skunkworks organization – United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP), and our advanced Research & Development lab – United Technologies Research Center (UTRC). By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, we create smart, sustainable solutions that prove we can do the big things the right way. We put the “T” in UTC.
United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP) is at the heart of UTC’s technology organization, fostering a startup-like culture that is unafraid of failure and trying new things. We are comprised of project teams that are co-located with UTC’s engineering and business footprints. We run fast and deliver convincing product and service demonstrators that will disrupt UTC’s core businesses. UTAP projects bring together UTC’s world-leading expertise in engineering and manufacturing along with top external talent, with project teams located at UTC sites around the world.
At UTAP, we need you to help fuel a dynamic innovation project using your skills, expertise, and love of teaming to help make this happen. Are you looking for a rare opportunity to be part of something unprecedented at United Technologies? Are you invigorated by a healthy mix of creativity and structure? If so, we want to meet you.
Project 804, our hybrid electric propulsion (HEP) project, needs you to lead all aspects of delivering work scope to the system integrator lead with respect to the full hybrid-electric engine performance and operations, including heat engine time dependent response, heat engine steady and transient torque response, electric motor steady and transient response, combined power steady and transient response, propeller performance integrations, incumbent engine steady and transient response matching all the way to the aircraft model integration . The modeling will involve leading the overall integration and coordination with the multiple partners who will generate their own sub-component level models. The chief performance engineer will be responsible for integration of all the sub-component level models into the high level aircraft model which includes the incumbent turboprop engine. Ultimately the chief performance and operation engineer will be responsible for the calibrated propulsion and all auxiliary power output prediction for the overall demo aircraft propulsion system and the generation of aerodynamic design points and secondary systems boundary conditions.
- Lead engine time dependent model generation and calibration
- Lead heat engine steady and unsteady model generation and calibration
- Coordinate incumbent engine steady and unsteady mapping, analytically or with flight testing
- Coordinate hybrid-electric engine steady and unsteady model generation and calibration
- Generate power setting tables for the hybrid-electric power plant
- Generate aero design points and secondary air system boundary conditions
- Oversee integration of the hybrid-electric power plant integration with propeller and aircraft
- Support P804 Experimental AFM performance section generation with particular operations of the HEP in combination with the incumbent engine of P804
Qualifications & Competencies
- Multidisciplinary mechanical, electrical and/or aircraft engineer. Background in engine development performance, aircraft performance and time dependent modeling
- Open to integrating models from multiple platforms into one fully integrated performance and operations model
- Understanding of propeller propulsion systems
- Strong analytical capabilities
- Strong synthesis and communications abilities
- Ambitious initiative and autonomy, pro-active in decision making
Education & Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, post graduate degree preferred
- More than 15 years relevant experience in the aerospace industry, especially engine and aircraft systems integration
- Demonstrated history of success in multiple positions of growing scope and responsibility, with a significant duration of experience and expertise spanning the full qualifications of this role
This role can be located in Rockford, IL or Montreal, Canada depending on citizenship status
Candidate must be open to travel as needed
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms