Staff Design Engineer, Composite StructuresBusinesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01265579 Date posted 01/02/2019 City Middletown State Connecticut Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:PW102: Middletown Aircraft Rd P.O. Box 611, Middletown, CT, 06457 USA
Pratt & Whitney, a recognized leading producer of the world’s most powerful jet engines, is looking for dedicated individuals to support our organization.
If you aspire to work in a dynamic environment and possess the motivation to convert new ideas into practice, this may be the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
Have you considered what it may be like to work at Pratt & Whitney? We have a rare opportunity for a talented Staff Design Engineer, Composite Structures to be based in Middletown, CT.
This role reports to Pratt & Whitney's Compression Systems Engineering (CSE), designers and analysts of advanced Fans, Low and High Pressure Compressors. You will work on the Military Composites Fans, which will in turn support all of our military engine programs, including the F119, F135 and advanced engines programs.
Your responsibilities as a Staff Design Engineer will include:
- Working as part of an Integrated Product Team and participate in projects aimed at creating and implementing designs that meet advanced engine-specific requirements.
- Functioning as Design Lead for composite components
- Material selection, determination of laminate architecture, creation of solid models, and design of sub-element components for structural testing; assist in manufacturing process development at suppliers, and ensure the manufacturability of component designs.
- Providing analytical support for preliminary & detailed design, through development, validation, certification, manufacturing and operational service.
- Validating methods against subscale and full-scale static, dynamic and impact tests.
- Supporting F119, F135 Joint Strike Fighter, and advanced engine programs.
- Developing computer and simulation-based methods and processes that support engineering productivity and throughput.
- Documenting and presenting results to management and external customers.
- Coordinating with others to advance technology and improve engineering standard work processes/methods
- Mentoring lesser experienced design engineers
- Applying ACE (Achieving Competitive Excellence) tools within the Composites Organization.
10% travel is anticipated
- PhD Engineering with 3+ years of engineering experience OR Masters Degree in Engineering with 6+ years engineering experience OR Bachelors Degree in engineering with 8+ years or more experience
- US Citizenship due to program requirements
- CAD Software experience (NX, FiberSIM, TeamCenter preferred)
- Mechanical design experience (bolted joints, hand calculations, etc)
- Knowledge of composite design, analysis
- Mechanical property, Non-destructive testing methods for composites.
- Hands-on composites manufacturing experience using hand layup/autoclave, compression molding, or RTM techniques.
- Knowledge of advanced textile design and manufacturing
- Ability to craft clear communication and build positive relationships
- Analytical Skills
Do you wish you could put your technical expertise to better use? If you are ready for a challenge, then we encourage you to apply. We demand quality in all we do which is what cultivates our success in the Aerospace Industry.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
United Technologies Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.