Technical Program ManagerBusinesses UTC AEROSPACE SYSTEMS Job ID 74630BR Date posted 10/12/2018 City Jacksonville State Florida Country US
When the global aerospace community looks for ideas and solutions to its biggest challenges, they turn to the people of UTC Aerospace Systems. We design, invent and deliver the most advanced and diverse range of aerospace systems on the market. We are inventors. We are manufacturers. We work in space exploration, commercial air travel, defense and rescue applications. Always learning and pushing the boundaries, we are an undisputed industry leader that continually sets the bar higher and higher. Come soar with us.
You probably never think about it, but the engines on an aircraft need to be housed in safe, aerodynamic structures called “nacelles.” UTC Aerospace Systems’ Aerostructures business is a world leader in nacelle technology, which leads to better fuel efficiency, less engine noise and critical stopping power when the airplane lands. Today, our innovative nacelle systems are featured on many of the world’s newest and most game-changing airplane platforms. And we’re not stopping there: we’re working hard to create the next generation of nacelles that are greener, quieter and more efficient. In addition, our Engineered Polymer Products division is a leading developer and manufacturer of advanced, high-performance composite structures and products for marine applications. Whether in the air or underwater, we’re pushing the limits of innovation. Want to join us on this important journey?
At UTC Aerospace Systems, we believe that innovation starts with our people. That’s why we have over 8,000 engineers located in 70 sites around the globe, across 14 countries. But our Engineering organization is not just a collection of individual businesses. We use our size and expertise to create system solutions that work across all our product lines.
Our industry-leading experts are setting the standards for the aerospace industry and paving the way for the future. But as new challenges present themselves, we need fresh, creative and motivated minds to overcome these hurdles, help us break barriers and achieve new levels of innovation. Do you have what it takes to join a global, diverse organization that doesn’t shy away from big opportunities? If so, we invite you to join our Engineering ranks and create the next generation of aerospace technologies. Together, we will move the world forward!
The Technical Program Manager (PM) role is a technical leadership position reporting to the Engineering & Business Development Manager.
You will be responsible for the technical leadership of a program as the program chief engineer as well as managing the cost, quality and schedule of assigned programs.
This is a highly autonomous role and requires excellent organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving and leadership skills.
You will work closely with Business Development Managers to respond to customer requests and quotes and with the Operations and Quality Managers to assure the successful execution of your programs.
You will lead your staff and personnel from other departments to provide concepts for design, analysis, validation and oversee production to meet customer requirements.
You will be the EPP’s Point of Contact for customers for programs for which there is an accepted contract -- this may include multiple concurrent programs with values ranging as high as tens of millions in value.
In this leadership position, the PM will supervise a technical staff.
You will assess skills and requirements and establish gap closure plans to ensure their staff members are proficient in the necessary skills.
You will set objectives, conduct performance evaluations, and mentor your staff.
- Functionally the program Chief Engineer, responsible for assuring the integrity of the designs/products
- Plan, develop, implement, and coordinate project(s) or program(s) utilizing the UPI (UTAS Product Introduction) tools
- Design, establish, and maintain staffing and an organizational structure to effectively accomplish the program/project function
- Develop and manage program budgets for each program
- Communicate and provide regular program status updates
- Effectively manage program risks (budget, schedule, quality)
- Lead staff and business in learning and implementing UPI Tools to manage programs/projects
- Work with Supply Chain/Materials and Manufacturing to ensure production work packages (work instructions, routers, bills of material) are accurate and released in a timely manner
- Coordinate with other Program Managers and Operations Manager to manage priorities to meet business objectives
- Train, supervise, and evaluate program/project staff and performance
- Lead Continuous Improvement efforts within the business
- Participate in leadership activities such as Macro Planning and Strategy Development
- Work with R&D to communicate new technology needs; execute R&D programs as assigned
- Support Contact Administrator in contract negotiations, as required
- Prepare proposals including technical, schedule, and cost inputs
In this high-impact / high-visibility role you will be required to ...
- Apply your excellent oral and written communication skills
- Direct / motivate and persuade stakeholders (customers (internal and external), peers, suppliers and subordinates
- Remain calm, poised and professional diffuse in difficult situations
- Gather and analyze data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Apply your strong interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- MUST possess or be able to obtain a US DoD secret clearance or higher
- 5+ years of experience in Composites Engineering (product development and/or manufacturing engineering) required, including …
- Involvement in program planning and management (cost, quality and schedule)
- Design / manufacturing with advanced composite materials and/or urethane elastomers
- Experience in Hand Lay-up, Autoclave molding, Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Molding (VARTM), Pultrusion and / or other efficient processing techniques
- Experience with thermoset and thermoplastic resins and standard reinforcement fibers such as carbon, fiberglass, Kevlar, and Spectra
- Data analysis and making / implementing decisions based on that analysis
- Design and implementation of systems necessary to collect, maintain, and analyze data
- Organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Developing proposal estimates for new product development initiatives
- Experience making effective administrative / procedural decisions and judgments
- Experience organizing and formally presenting information to internal and external stakeholders
- Prior program management experience
- Experience in US Navy or aerospace hardware design & production
- Experience using SAP or equivalent ERP program
- Understanding of Continuous Improvement / ACE tools and their use
- Knowledge and application of Lean Product Development / UPI tools and practices
- Knowledge of urethane elastomer processing, casting and infusion
- Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques
- Six-sigma/lean experience
- Marketing/business development
- Familiarity with FARS, DFARS, and related government contracting regulations
- Bachelors of Science (BS) in Engineering or related field required
- Masters of Science (MS) or Masters of Business Administration (MBA) preferred
Nothing matters more to UTC Aerospace Systems than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
- Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
- Drug Screens for re-hires only performed for previous employees who have been gone from company for more than 1 year
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.