Project Leader, Avionics, Collins Program OfficeBusinesses United Technologies Research Center Job ID 01287941 Date posted 01/17/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:RC1: United Tech Research Center 411 Silver Lane, East Hartford, CT, 06108 USA
United Technologies Corporation (UTC; NYSC: UTX) is headquartered in Farmington, CT, just outside of Hartford, CT. We employ over 204,000 talented individuals globally, achieve net sales in excess of $60 billion, and invest $4B each year back into research & development activities. Our aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines and Collins Aerospace – the combination of which make us the largest aerospace company in the world. Our commercial businesses include Otis elevators and escalators and UTC Climate, Controls & Security – a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire and security systems and building automation controls.
United Technologies Corporation (UTC) was founded by some of the world’s greatest inventors. We helped build the Second Industrial Revolution and brought about a century of urbanization and globalization. Now we need your help to build the next one.
Tech@UTC is the UTC technology organization, comprised of the global engineering function, several focused centers of expertise, our skunkworks organization – United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP), and our advanced Research & Development lab – United Technologies Research Center (UTRC). By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, we create smart, sustainable solutions that prove we can do the big things the right way. We put the “T” in UTC.
The United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) is the corporate research center of UTC, operating at the leading edge of commercial and military aviation, aerospace systems, climate control, elevator design, and security and fire protection. At UTRC, we create new ideas and opportunities by collaborating across time zones, geographies and cultures. We are a community of high performing inventors, innovators, thinkers, manufacturers, motivators, leaders, problem solvers, dreamers and achievers. We work with universities, external research organizations, and global business units to identify, develop and demonstrate innovative technology solutions, products, services and intelligent systems. We are looking for scientists and engineers who have a passion for innovation and a high tolerance for ambiguity. You must be an independent thinker and self-starter with a demonstrated ability to produce high-quality technical content by collaborating with fellow researchers and product specialists. You will have the opportunity to continuously develop and invent new technologies, products and processes. At UTRC, you’ll be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that’s moving fast to shape the future of technology - one full of career opportunities and the chance to contribute and grow in a variety of ways. We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best and brightest people from the broadest and most diverse talent pool possible, so that we can serve our customers globally. If you have ideas, inspiration and expertise to continue developing products and systems that make the world a better place to live, then we have a great opportunity for you to contribute to our continued legacy of innovation.
The Collins Aerospace Program Office at United Technologies Research Center invites experienced candidates to apply for a senior level position leading the development and execution of a portfolio of projects aligned with Collins Aerospace Avionics strategic business unit. As Project Leader, the successful candidate will be expected to lead a portfolio of multidisciplinary projects focused on the development of innovative technologies to drive advancement of next generation technologies for avionics systems, cabin management and content systems, information management systems and services, fire protection services, and aircraft sensors. You will also lead projects with significant product and system-level benefits such as improved functionalities and performance, reduced size or weight, extended durability, lower cost and other enhanced mission capability and performance benefits for commercial and military aircraft.
- Develop strategic, customer-driven roadmaps and associated technology plans
- Create and lead multidisciplinary projects with an aim to identify technology gaps and define value propositions that will feed directly into Collins Aerospace Avionics technology development plans
- Identify opportunities for external resource development (ERD) and provide leadership in partnering with US government agencies to acquire external contracts
- Interact with UTRC and Collins Aerospace senior management and communicate strategic vision and project accomplishments
- Establish partnerships with a diverse set of Collins Aerospace internal customers, including engineering, aftermarket, and operations
- Develop and nurture strategic partnerships with research and academic institutions to build a strong network of capabilities that complement those within Collins Aerospace and UTRC
- Engage proactively with external scientific and technical communities, and where appropriate represent UTRC on key scientific and research boards
- Mentor UTRC individual contributors and principal investigators to assure technical discipline and rigor in project execution, and assist in developing technical skills in relevant areas
- Demonstrate superior project management and communication skills and be able to provide timely, accurate and detailed reports and presentations to senior management and functional teams
Experience & Qualifications
- Experience with avionics systems, and system technologies including communication systems, sensors and embedded software
- Demonstrated ability to assist in leading multi-disciplinary teams to successfully achieve desired technical outcomes within time and budget constraints
- Demonstrated track record in winning external funding/contracts/grants
- Excellent communication and leadership skills; strategic, innovative and technical thinking; high energy; team worker.
- Excellent project management skills
Education & Certifications
- MS required (Ph.D. preferred) in Aerospace Engineering, or Electrical Engineering or related engineering fields with a minimum of 5-7 years relevant experience
Position requires US Citizenship or Permanent Resident (Green Card) status
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
United Technologies Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.