Group Leader, Decision Support & Machine IntelligenceBusinesses United Technologies Research Center Job ID 01288078 Date posted 01/18/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:RC1: United Tech Research Center 411 Silver Lane, East Hartford, CT, 06108 USA
United Technologies Corporation (UTC; NYSC: UTX) is headquartered in Farmington, CT, just outside of Hartford, CT. We employ over 240,000 talented individuals globally, achieve net sales in excess of $60 billion, and invest $4B each year back into research & development activities. Our aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines and Collins Aerospace – the combination of which make us the largest aerospace company in the world. Our commercial businesses include Otis elevators and escalators and Carrier – a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire and security systems and building automation controls. Tech@UTC is the UTC technology organization, comprised of the global engineering function, several focused centers of expertise, our skunkworks organization – United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP), and our advanced Research & Development lab – United Technologies Research Center (UTRC). By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, we create smart, sustainable solutions that prove we can do the big things the right way. We put the “T” in UTC.
The United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) is the corporate research center of UTC, operating at the leading edge of commercial and military aviation, aerospace systems, climate control, elevator design, and security and fire protection. At UTRC, we create new ideas and opportunities by collaborating across time zones, geographies and cultures. We are a community of high performing inventors, innovators, thinkers, manufacturers, motivators, leaders, problem solvers, dreamers and achievers. We work with universities, external research organizations, and global business units to identify, develop and demonstrate innovative technology solutions, products, services and intelligent systems. We are looking for scientists and engineers who have a passion for innovation and a high tolerance for ambiguity. You must be an independent thinker and self-starter with a demonstrated ability to produce high-quality technical content by collaborating with fellow researchers and product specialists. You will have the opportunity to continuously develop and invent new technologies, products and processes. At UTRC, you’ll be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that’s moving fast to shape the future of technology - one full of career opportunities and the chance to contribute and grow in a variety of ways. We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best and brightest people from the broadest and most diverse talent pool possible, so that we can serve our customers globally. If you have ideas, inspiration and expertise to continue developing products and systems that make the world a better place to live, then we have a great opportunity for you to contribute to our continued legacy of innovation.
The Autonomous & Intelligent Systems department of UTRC invites qualified individuals to apply for the position of Group Leader, Decision Support & Machine Intelligence (DSMI). This group has a broad agenda including development and implementation of decision systems based on machine learning, data mining, human machine interaction, computer vision and cloud based analytics. These methodologies are core to the work this work provides in the support of commercial and aerospace applications.
The Group Leader position includes a broad range of leadership activities essential to advanced concept developments in DSMI as well as in supporting the development of analytic methods and how to interact with them to address short term UTC aerospace and commercial business unit needs. The primary responsibilities include:
- Capability and Technology Development: the Group Leader will develop a strategic vision for the capabilities under her/his responsibility including identifying strategic technology investments in Decision Support & Machine Intelligence, staff hiring and development, lab management, and establishing partnerships with world class institutions to support the defined vision. This requires a close collaboration with the UTRC program offices to ensure alignment, and to promote new technical agendas to support UTC business unit needs in DSMI. The DSMI Group Leader will also ensure a coordination of capability development in DSMI areas across UTRC sites located in East Hartford, CT, Berkeley, CA, Shanghai, China and Cork, Ireland
- Staff competency development: The group leader is responsible for identifying competency gaps and developing the necessary development plans to ensure the group can sustain and grow critical skills. The Group Leader will have the responsibility for the annual performance reviews, individual development planning, career planning, technical mentoring, and ensuring high quality technical activities within her/his group
- Manage resource allocations: the Group Leader will engage on a frequent basis with Project Leaders on the execution of technical work within her/his discipline to ensure high technical quality work and effective allocation of staff.
- Operations: the Group Leader is responsible for hiring, and will manage the Decision Support & Machine Intelligence group to achieve financial targets, develop an annual capital plan, and ensure thorough implementation of environmental health and safety policies in offices and laboratories.
The qualified applicant will hold a PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or Physics with a focus on analytics, machine learning and at least 10 years of experience post degree in a research environment.
The successful candidate must be able to:
- Demonstrate a track record in the ability to build technical capability through hiring and technical mentoring of staff
- Demonstrate a track record in establishing partnership with academic institutions, and development of R&D programs.
- Demonstrate technical leadership, strong communication skills and a track record of staff development.
- Demonstrate the ability to build consensus to achieve desired goals within schedule and budget constraints.
The candidate must be able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment focused on innovation and be able to partner with leading worldwide academic institutions to fulfill organizational objectives. The candidate is expected to take a major role in interacting with UTRC Program Offices, UTC business units, and government funding agencies to enhance existing programs, develop program opportunities, and to assist in the acquisition of contract awards. The candidate must be able to communicate highly technical information at the correct level for wide ranges of backgrounds, and provide timely, accurate and detailed reports and presentations, sometimes on short notice.
US citizen required.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
United Technologies Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.