ENG-Applied Mechanics Laboratory InternshipBusinesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01359515 Date posted 10/10/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:PW100: East Hartford 400 Main Street, East Hartford, CT, 06118 USA
The sky has no limits.
Flight is an instrument of human progress. It not only gets people where they want to go, it carries humanity to places it never thought possible. At Pratt & Whitney, you’ll be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that’s moving fast to shape the future of aviation. Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As part of the team at Pratt & Whitney, you’ll help answer today’s challenges in powered flight while shaping and supporting tomorrow’s solutions.
Our internships and co-ops are designed to help build your professional credentials while also igniting your imagination. Opportunities exist throughout our company and are available to students who are motivated to learn and grow.
At Pratt & Whitney Inclusion Powers Innovation: We unlock our employees’ full potential through a versatile and engaging culture that values everybody’s opinion, driving innovation. The goal of our diversity strategy is to build a workforce and environment where every employee is valued so innovation and creativity thrive and to ensure that all employees are engaged and empowered.
Materials & Processes Engineering (MPE) and the Applied Mechanics Laboratory (AML) is seeking a highly motivated individual to be a Component Test Engineer Intern during the summer of 2020. The individual will support execution of a variety of engine component test types including static load, low and high cycle fatigue, ballistic impact, thermal cyclic and other application specific test types that represent engine operating conditions. The intern will work under the guidance of the component test engineering team to understand and implement overall test objectives, necessary control modes, instrumentation and data acquisition requirements. The intern will be responsible for designing custom fixtures and hardware; developing instrumentation plans with the necessary data acquisition protocols, working with technical staff to execute tests; troubleshooting test issues; analyzing data; and reporting results.
A successful candidate:
- Must be mechanically inclined with strong problem solving, analytical, observational, and organizational skills.
- Must be a strong verbal and written communicator.
- Must function effectively in a lab environment with people of a broad variety of skills and backgrounds.
- Must be working toward a CAD proficiency.
- Must have the ability to work independently after assigned a task.
- Must be able to balance multiple test activities at once.
Do you meet these Basic Qualifications?
- US Citizenship is required due to government contracts.
- You're in an accredited undergraduate or graduate engineering degree program.
- Fields of study:Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering major
- You will have at least 30 credits prior to starting your internship
- You have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Previous Engineering internships
- Programming experience and/or MATLAB exposure
- Hands-on laboratory experience
- Knowledge of machining methods
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms