Avionics IPT Engineer- ControlsBusinesses United Technologies Corp. Headquarters Job ID 01292765 Date posted 02/08/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:UT20: HS-IL - Corp Remote Location, Remote City, IL, 06032 USA
United Technologies Corporation (UTC; NYSC: UTX) is headquartered in Farmington, CT, just outside of Hartford, CT. We employ over 204,000 talented individuals globally, achieve net sales in excess of $60 billion, and invest $4B each year back into research & development activities. Our aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines and UTC Aerospace Systems – the combination of which make us the largest aerospace company in the world. Our commercial businesses include Otis elevators and escalators and UTC Climate, Controls & Security – a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire and security systems and building automation controls.
United Technologies Corporation was founded by some of the world’s greatest inventors. We helped build the Second Industrial Revolution and brought about a century of urbanization and globalization. Now we need your help to build the next one.
Tech@UTC is the UTC technology organization, comprised of the global engineering function, several focused centers of expertise, our skunkworks organization – United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP), and our advanced Research & Development lab – United Technologies Research Center (UTRC). By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, we create smart, sustainable solutions that prove we can do the big things the right way. We put the “T” in UTC.
United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP) is at the heart of UTC’s technology organization, fostering a startup-like culture that is unafraid of failure and trying new things. We are comprised of project teams that are co-located with UTC’s engineering and business footprints. We run fast and deliver convincing product and service demonstrators that will disrupt UTC’s core businesses. UTAP projects bring together UTC’s world-leading expertise in engineering and manufacturing along with top external talent, with project teams located at UTC sites around the world.
At UTAP, we need you to help fuel a dynamic innovation project using your skills, expertise, and love of teaming to help make this happen. Are you looking for a rare opportunity to be part of something unprecedented at United Technologies? Are you invigorated by a healthy mix of creativity and structure? If so, we want to meet you.
Project 804, our hybrid electric propulsion (HEP) project, needs you to provide technical leadership for all aspects of the design, development, manufacturing, qualification and flight testing of the Systems Controls support of the HEP. You will collaborate closely with the with Aircraft Systems Integration Lead, Engine Lead, Engine Systems & Accessories Program Manager, the Systems Control & Accessories IPT, Flight Ops, and other project and systems engineers and support staff to identify early risk reduction development work. Do you have experience across disciplines? We see your skills encompassing a broad technical landscape while closely monitoring technical evolution and anticipating potential roadblocks and drive recovery plans accordingly. Even though the HEP flight vehicle is an experimental aircraft, we will define a minimum airworthiness compliance plan for the aircraft and you will be responsible for the compliance plan verification.
Note: this position can be located in IL, CT or Montreal Canada.
- Project Lead for the Hybrid Engine Propulsion Avionics which includes the design, development, manufacturing, qualification and flight test of the components. Responsible for hardware and Software implementation into the system. This also includes providing necessary indications to the pilot.
- Work in collaboration with our Program Manager, Chief Engineer, Electrical Systems Lead, and Controls & Accessories IPT to keep the program execution pace required to deliver on the project while ensuring control and protection scheme is safe, certifiable and efficient
- The Avionics team will be a cross-functional, multi-BU team made of PWC, PWA, Collins Aerospace and an external supplier
- Self-started, driven, able to solve complex technical and project problems, good at troubleshooting and finding solution with limited data, able to handle risk and speed in decision making. High level of emotional intelligence and ability to work with cross functional teams
- Anticipate roadblocks and liaise with governance team to resolve. This project will require a lot of focus on execution and execution trends and direction will be constantly re-adjusted.
- Stimulate and support Intellectual Property (IP) generation with the whole team. Ensure that external IP does not contaminate the project. In coordination with integration leads, ensure that current IP state-of-the-art is not in line with the project and develop workaround strategies with the team
- Closely monitor technical status, schedule, budget, and program risk and provide timely updates to program leadership
- Deep understanding of aircraft systems engineering, and cockpit displays
- Experience with requirements generation utilizing requirements tools, e.g Jama, DOORs, Synergy, etc.
- Experience with certification of aircraft systems, sub-systems and components. Focused on ARP -4754, DO-254, DO-178 and DO-160
- Experience in Aircraft System Integration (ASI) with emphasis in Engine Information Systems
- Ability to communicate and provide technical expertise with internal employees and suppliers
- Strong leadership demonstrated through past experience
- Flexible, able to adapt to rapid change of direction while being in a virtual environment
- Understanding of aerospace industry customer base
- Understanding of Intellectual Property critical importance and the potential challenges with contamination and leakage
- Willingness to travel between 2 main UTAP sites and potentially Collins Aerospace
Education & Ex Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (or combination of degree and years of experience)
- More than 7 years meaningful experience with aircraft engine system controls
- Demonstrated history of success in multiple positions of growing scope and responsibility, with a significant duration of experience and expertise spanning the full qualifications of this role
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
United Technologies Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.