Associate Director, Decision Support & Machine LearningBusinesses United Technologies Research Center Job ID 01291213 Date posted 01/31/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:RC1: United Tech Research Center 411 Silver Lane, East Hartford, CT, 06108 USA
United Technologies Corporation (UTC; NYSC: UTX) is headquartered in Farmington, CT, just outside of Hartford, CT. We employ over 240,000 talented individuals globally, achieve net sales in excess of $60 billion, and invest $4B each year back into research & development activities. Our aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines and Collins Aerospace – the combination of which make us the largest aerospace company in the world. Our commercial businesses include Otis elevators and escalators and Carrier – a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire and security systems and building automation controls.
United Technologies Corporation (UTC) was founded by some of the world’s greatest inventors. We helped build the Second Industrial Revolution and brought about a century of urbanization and globalization. Now we need your help to build the next one.
Tech@UTC is the UTC technology organization, comprised of the global engineering function, several focused centers of expertise, our skunkworks organization – United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP), and our advanced Research & Development lab – United Technologies Research Center (UTRC). By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, we create smart, sustainable solutions that prove we can do the big things the right way. We put the “T” in UTC.
The United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) is the corporate research center of UTC, operating at the leading edge of commercial and military aviation, aerospace systems, climate control, elevator design, and security and fire protection. At UTRC, we create new ideas and opportunities by collaborating across time zones, geographies and cultures. We are a community of high performing inventors, innovators, thinkers, manufacturers, motivators, leaders, problem solvers, dreamers and achievers. We work with universities, external research organizations, and global business units to identify, develop and demonstrate innovative technology solutions, products, services and intelligent systems. We are looking for scientists and engineers who have a passion for innovation and a high tolerance for ambiguity. You must be an independent thinker and self-starter with a demonstrated ability to produce high-quality technical content by collaborating with fellow researchers and product specialists. You will have the opportunity to continuously develop and invent new technologies, products and processes. At UTRC, you’ll be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that’s moving fast to shape the future of technology - one full of career opportunities and the chance to contribute and grow in a variety of ways. We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best and brightest people from the broadest and most diverse talent pool possible, so that we can serve our customers globally. If you have ideas, inspiration and expertise to continue developing products and systems that make the world a better place to live, then we have a great opportunity for you to contribute to our continued legacy of innovation.
The successful candidate for this position will be responsible for formulating problems and determining methodologies to take advantage of existing analytical tools and developing new tools to extract meaning and trends from the data. Successful candidates must have the ability to perform the following functions:
- Research, design and prototype novel analytics algorithms and models on machine learning, data mining and statistical modeling to discover actionable and interpretable insights.
- Demonstrate proficiency and deep knowledge in statistical machine learning methods, deep neural networks, Bayesian and probabilistic inference and state-of-art tools.
- Demonstrable research experience in manipulating and analyzing large multi-modal data sets, and a working knowledge in diverse big data computing platforms e.g. Spark/Hadoop/MongoDB and/or GPU is a big plus.
- Demonstrate the potential to initiate, lead, and execute funding opportunities in both internal and external R&D
- Identify technology gaps and propose project opportunities to increase technical capabilities to further support our customers.
- Operate as the Principal Investigator for technical projects, including project planning, mentoring team members, and interfacing directly with our customers.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in the field by continuous learning and proactively champion new ideas and new problem definitions.
The successful Individual will be a proactive, highly motivated self-starter and customer advocate with proven capability in working with teams of designers and developers. S/He will work with project leaders to provide project plans, identify intellectual property disclosures, and support proposals for external funding opportunities from government funding agencies. Additionally, the candidate should possess
- Proficiency in Python, R, Java and/or Matlab
- Familiarity with publicly available toolkits (e.g. Scikit-learn, Mallet, Theano/TensorFlow etc.)
- Familiarity with the literature in technical areas of expertise
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of management, business development, researchers, funding agency program managers and clients
- An excellent customer-focused work ethic
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, team environment
- The ability to work independently with limited direction to accomplish project goals on time and within budget
The candidate must be able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment focused on innovation and be able to partner with leading, worldwide institutions (university, government agencies, national labs, and professional organizations) to meet organizational objectives. The candidate should have good communication skills and must be able to provide timely, accurate and detailed reports, presentations and technical papers.
The candidate is expected to take a major role in interacting with UTRC Program Offices, UTC business units, and government funding agencies to enhance existing programs, develop program opportunities, and to assist in the acquisition of contract awards.
The candidate must be able to communicate highly technical information at the correct level for wide ranges of backgrounds, and provide timely, accurate and detailed reports and presentations, sometimes on short notice.
Education: Ph.D. in Computer Science, Mathematics, physics or Statistics and at least 10+ years industrial experience post-Ph.D.
US Citizenship or US green card holder required.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms