3D Modeling Engineer, Digital ThreadBusinesses United Technologies Corp. Headquarters Job ID 01292851 Date posted 02/08/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:UT13: RC-CT - Corp 411 Silver Lane, East Hartford, CT, 06108 USA
United Technologies Corporation (UTC; NYSC: UTX) is headquartered in Farmington, CT, just outside of Hartford, CT. We employ over 204,000 talented individuals globally, achieve net sales in excess of $60 billion, and invest $4B each year back into research & development activities. Our aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines and Collins Aerospace Systems – the combination of which make us the largest aerospace company in the world. Our commercial businesses include Otis elevators and escalators and UTC Climate, Controls & Security – a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire and security systems and building automation controls.
United Technologies Corporation was founded by some of the world’s greatest inventors. We helped build the Second Industrial Revolution and brought about a century of urbanization and globalization. Now we need your help to build the next one.
Tech@UTC is the UTC technology organization, comprised of the global engineering function, several focused centers of expertise, our skunkworks organization – United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP), and our advanced Research & Development lab – United Technologies Research Center (UTRC). By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, we create smart, sustainable solutions that prove we can do the big things the right way. We put the “T” in UTC.
The newly-created Digital Thread Center of Expertise (DTCOE) aims to demonstrate 2X or more acceleration in product development and production ramp timelines by deploying an end-to-end digital model thread through all phases of design, manufacturing, and in-service operation of the most complex UTC products.
The DTCOE is a three-year initiative to develop and demonstrate a fully digital product design, manufacturing, and in-service support approach. The team will develop a toolchain that supports digital continuity across different levels of model fidelity, different physics domains, and different levels of abstraction, such that the product, the manufacturing system, and the operating environment are represented. Such a toolchain will support an agile design flow for product development, the co-design and co-optimization of the product and manufacturing environment, and improved analytics of in-service product data. Within the three year timeframe, the DTCOE will apply this toolchain and methodology to a complex UTC product such as a small jet engine to demonstrate scalability, quantify value, and prepare for enterprise-wide industrialization.
As the 3D Modeling Engineer for Digital Thread, you will drive the methodology for representing and transforming geometry, serving the needs of an end-to-end model-based Digital Thread. This includes the meaningful representation and transformation of 3D geometry to different domains, such as product design, product manufacturing, and inspection, to enable a unified view of an object into a comprehensive whole. You will need to ensure effective collaboration with the other members of the modeling and methods team, the product demonstration team as well as with the toolchain team.
Key job responsibilities:
- Drive the methodology for 3D modeling for design, manufacturing, and inspection, to enable a true end-to-end model-based Digital Thread
- Direct the transformation of 3D representations needed for design, manufacturing, and inspection
- Build, maintain, and manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Speak inspirationally about the project to internal and external audiences.
- Conduct regular project reviews.
- Collaborate effectively with the members of the organization.
Qualifications and competencies:
- Experience with CAD & CAM software
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of 3D modeling for design, manufacturing, and inspection
- Knowledge of GD&T (Geometry Dimensioning & Tolerancing)
- Knowledge of methods for morphing geometry is a plus
- Capability to quickly learn new tools, as required by execution context
- A thirst for achieving a unifying view of geometry for disparate applications
- Excellent communication skills
- Previous experience in the aerospace domain is a plus
- Be comfortable with fast-paced, agile but rigorous software development and be able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary, multinational team environment focused on innovation
Education and Experience:
- Required: M.S. in Engineering, Engineering Design, Physics, Mathematics, or a related field with a minimum of 5 years of industrial or academic experience (post M.S.).
- Preferred: Ph.D. in Engineering, Engineering Design, Physics, Mathematics, or a related field with an emphasis on design, working on industrial scale problems.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms