UTRCI Research Scientist, Critical Software SystemsBusinesses United Technologies Research Center Job ID 40513 Date posted 05/28/2018 City Cork State Munster Country Ireland
United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) delivers advanced technologies to the businesses of United Technologies Corporation (UTC). UTC is a diversified company that provides a broad range of high-technology products and services to the global aerospace and building systems industries. Its commercial business -- UTC Building & Industrial Systems -- comprises Otis elevators and escalators as well as UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire and security systems, and building automation and controls. The company's aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney and UTC Aerospace Systems.
UTRC partners with UTC business units and external research organizations to expand the boundaries of science and technology through research and innovation, delivering technology options that meet and anticipate the needs of the marketplace. Founded in 1929, UTRC is located in East Hartford, Connecticut (U.S.), with an office in Berkeley, California, and research and development centers in Rome, Italy, Shanghai, China, and Cork, Ireland.
United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, Ltd. (UTRCI) is UTRC's European research hub, created to fully leverage a global network of innovation. UTRCI works with universities, research institutes, and industry throughout Europe and beyond to further its research and development mission. UTRCI invites qualified individuals to apply for the following position in its Cork office.
Learn more @ www.utrc.utc.com.
UTRCI seeks candidates with expertise in software development for critical systems, to join their Networks & Embedded Systems group in Cork, Ireland. In this position, researchers with expertise in the field of critical systems development, analysis, validation and verification will work as part of multidisciplinary teams in developing new technologies that will provide a competitive advantage for UTC's business units.
Prior exposure to agile software development methodologies and a desire to drive those and promote their adoption in critical systems development is a key differentiator for this position.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who works well in an international teaming environment, is extremely well-organized and has excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills. Besides technical excellence, an entrepreneurial attitude towards innovation is essential.
The successful candidate will:
- Contribute to an established research agenda related to UTC's aerospace and building & industrial systems technologies.
- Participate in R&D activities within international collaborative research projects.
- Provide competitive advantage for UTC business units as part of a multidisciplinary and international team of experts.
A doctoral degree in Computer Science or related field, or a Master's degree with 2+ years of relevant industrial or academic experience in the field of software development, with a focus on critical systems.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in several of the following areas:
- Software engineering concepts and theory with an emphasis on software architectures, design and verification principles to ensure correct implementation of safety critical requirements
- Software Quality, including quality metrics, software testing, and static analysis.
- Experience with and track record of promoting best practices, tools and methodologies for Software Development.
- Solid programming skills in both procedural and functional programming languages.
- Experience with formal methods-based testing and verification techniques, including software verification, model checking and/or theorem proving.
- Innovative technical thinking applied to real-world problems.
- A proven research credential with publications in journals and conferences in the relevant field and/or a patent portfolio is required.
The ideal candidate is:
- Demonstrate technical excellence in research activity, be able to adapt to new challenges and go beyond their original field of expertise
- Assist in developing technology roadmaps and in the elaboration of proposals for externally-funded research (EU, National) in the area of critical systems software development
- Work with universities, government agencies, national labs, and professional organizations to meet organizational objectives within time and budget constraints.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and leadership skills as part of a cross-disciplinary team
- Develop technologies from initial concepts to prototype implementations.
- In addition, relevant industrial or academic experience for 5 years is desirable for applicants holding a master's degree, and post-doctoral research experience is desired for applicants holding a doctoral degree.
What we offer
Employees at UTRC-I enjoy a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team-based working environment. At UTRC you will be able to actively collaborate with national and international universities, work with research teams from other UTRC research centers around the globe, bring your ideas to life through our innovation pipeline process and work in many diverse technical domains ranging from building automation to aerospace.
UTRCI will provide a competitive compensation and benefits package to the successful candidate.
This position is based at UTRC's European hub in Cork, Ireland. To be eligible to apply, candidates must be legally entitled to work and reside in Ireland.
Candidates can apply online at: http://www.utrc.utc.com/ by selecting Careers on top left hand corner and then selecting "SEARCH NON-US JOBS". This brings you to the UTC Aerospace Systems page, select "Ireland" under country tab on your left hand side. This will display all open positions at UTRC Ireland.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
% Travel Required: < 10%
Please note your application form may be reviewed by staff members within the United Technologies Corporation Group at their business locations in America, China and Europe. If you do not consent to this please notify us at the application stage or if during the interview process you change your mind, please notify us and we will obtain the information which has been shared with our global offices.