Staff Research Scientist, Constraint ProgrammingBusinesses United Technologies Research Center Job ID 42522 Date posted 12/16/2019 City Cork State Munster Country Ireland
United Technologies Corporation (UTC; NYSC: UTX) is headquartered in Farmington, CT, just outside of Hartford, CT. We employ over 204,000 talented individuals globally, achieve net sales in excess of $60 billion, and invest $4B each year back into research & development activities. Our aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines and UTC Aerospace Systems -- the combination of which make us the largest aerospace company in the world. Our commercial businesses include Otis elevators and escalators and UTC Climate, Controls & Security -- a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire and security systems and building automation controls.
United Technologies Corporation was founded by some of the world's greatest inventors. We helped build the Second Industrial Revolution and brought about a century of urbanization and globalization. Now we need your help to build the next one.
Tech@UTC is the UTC technology organization, comprised of the global engineering function, several focused centers of expertise, our skunkworks organization -- United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP), and our advanced Research & Development lab -- United Technologies Research Center (UTRC). By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, we create smart, sustainable solutions that prove we can do the big things the right way. We put the "T" in UTC.
United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, Ltd. (UTRCI) is UTRC's European research hub, created to fully leverage a global network of innovation. UTRCI works with universities, research institutions, and industry throughout Europe to further its research and development mission in aerospace and building systems.
United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, Ltd. (UTRCI), established in 2009, conducts research into the next generation of energy and security systems for high-performance buildings, generating world-class technologies for UTC's commercial businesses worldwide. Recently, UTRC Ireland added aerospace systems research to its portfolio to support UTC's large industrial presence in Europe. UTRCI invites qualified individuals to apply for the following position in its Cork office. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be provided to the successful candidates.
The United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) is the corporate research center of UTC, operating at the leading edge of commercial and military aviation, aerospace systems, climate control, elevator design, and security and fire protection. At UTRC, we create new ideas and opportunities by collaborating across time zones, geographies and cultures. We are a community of high performing inventors, innovators, thinkers, manufacturers, motivators, leaders, problem solvers, dreamers and achievers.
We work with universities, external research organizations, and global business units to identify, develop and demonstrate innovative technology solutions, products, services and intelligent systems. We are looking for scientists and engineers who have a passion for innovation and a high tolerance for ambiguity. You must be an independent thinker and self-starter with a demonstrated ability to produce high-quality technical content by collaborating with fellow researchers and product specialists. You will have the opportunity to continuously develop and invent new technologies, products and processes. At UTRC, you'll be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that's moving fast to shape the future of technology - one full of career opportunities and the chance to contribute and grow in a variety of ways. We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best and brightest people from the broadest and most diverse talent pool possible, so that we can serve our customers globally. If you have ideas, inspiration and expertise to continue developing products and systems that make the world a better place to live, then we have a great opportunity for you to contribute to our continued legacy of innovation.
The System Modeling and Optimization group as part of Autonomous and Intelligent Systems Department invites qualified individuals to apply for the positions of a Senior and Staff Research Scientist in the area of Constraint Programming and Optimization. We support UTRC mission by developing advanced research programs and new capabilities and transitioning techniques and algorithms to UTC's business units. Technology demonstrations of developed technologies of relevance to United Technologies Corporation (UTC) will also be an important part of the research.
- Scientific and Engineering Contributions: (1) Expert knowledge in Constraint Programming (CP) with strong background in Satisfiability Solving (SAT) and Mixed Integer Linear Programming (MILP), (2) Strong experience in modelling and solving real-world problems with deep understanding of the CP modelling constructs and solid grasp of modelling using MILP and SAT frameworks, and (3) Bias towards experimenting and implementation with strong algorithm design skills. Develop technologies at different levels of maturity, from initial scientific concepts through to validation in industrial-strength environments
- Effective Teamwork: Work effectively in multidisciplinary projects within UTRC and UTC. In addition to technical contributions, provide timely, accurate reports and presentations to key stakeholders. Collaborate with consortium partners as part of externally funded projects (e.g. EU H2020).
- Proposal writing: Assist and lead in developing proposals for externally-funded research (EU, National) and collaborating with external partners such as companies, national labs and universities.
- IP Generation: Actively pursue patenting and publication opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to work within multi-disciplinary teams to successfully achieve desired technical outcomes within time and budget constraints
- Results-oriented with strong communication skills and customer focus
- Motivated self-starter with a strong enthusiasm to learn and passion for speed and agility
- Willingness to go beyond the original field of expertise
- Preferred Ph.D. in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Operations Research, or a related field, or minimum MSc degree, with 2+ years of industrial or academic experience
- Expert knowledge in Constraint Programming (CP) with strong background in Satisfiability Solving (SAT) and Mixed Integer Linear Programming (MILP)
- Preferred software skills: C#, Python, Java, C/C++ and familiarity with relevant automated reasoning engines and libraries, such as Google or-tools, Choco, Gecode, Cplex etc.
- Record of technical contributions, including publications in refereed technical journals and major conferences;
What we offer
Employees at UTRC-I enjoy a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team-based working environment. At UTRC you will be able to actively collaborate with national and international universities, work with research teams from other UTRC research centers around the globe, bring your ideas to life through our innovation pipeline process and work in many diverse technical domains ranging from building automation to aerospace.
UTRCI will provide a competitive compensation and benefits package to the successful candidate.
This position is based at UTRC's European hub in Cork, Ireland. To be eligible to apply, candidates must be legally entitled to work and reside in Ireland.
Candidates can apply online at: https://jobs.utrc.utc.com/search-jobs/Cork.
Please note your application form may be reviewed by staff members within the United Technologies Corporation Group at their business locations in America, China and Europe. If you do not consent to this please notify us at the application stage or if during the interview process you change your mind, please notify us and we will obtain the information which has been shared with our global offices.