Senior Research Scientist, Computer VisionBusinesses United Technologies Research Center Job ID 42213 Date posted 10/03/2019 City Cork State Munster Country Ireland
United Technologies Corporation (UTC; NYSC: UTX) is headquartered in Farmington, CT, just outside of Hartford, CT. We employ over 204,000 talented individuals globally, achieve net sales in excess of $60 billion, and invest $4B each year back into research & development activities. Our aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines and Collins Aerospace Systems -- the combination of which make us the largest aerospace company in the world. Our commercial businesses include Otis elevators and escalators and UTC Climate, Controls & Security -- a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire and security systems and building automation controls.
United Technologies Corporation was founded by some of the world's greatest inventors. We helped build the Second Industrial Revolution and brought about a century of urbanization and globalization. Now we need your help to build the next one.
Tech@UTC is the UTC technology organization, comprised of the global engineering function, several focused centers of expertise, our skunkworks organization -- United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP), and our advanced Research & Development lab -- United Technologies Research Center (UTRC). By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, we create smart, sustainable solutions that prove we can do the big things the right way. We put the "T" in UTC.
United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, Ltd. (UTRCI) is UTRC's European research hub, created to fully leverage a global network of innovation. UTRCI works with universities, research institutions, and industry throughout Europe to further its research and development mission in aerospace and building systems.
United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, Ltd. (UTRCI), established in 2009, conducts research into the next generation of energy and security systems for high-performance buildings, generating world-class technologies for UTC's commercial businesses worldwide. Recently, UTRC Ireland added aerospace systems research to its portfolio to support UTC's large industrial presence in Europe. UTRCI invites qualified individuals to apply for the following position in its Cork office. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be provided to the successful candidates.
The United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) is the corporate research center of UTC, operating at the leading edge of commercial and military aviation, aerospace systems, climate control, elevator design, and security and fire protection. At UTRC, we create new ideas and opportunities by collaborating across time zones, geographies and cultures. We are a community of high performing inventors, innovators, thinkers, manufacturers, motivators, leaders, problem solvers, dreamers and achievers.
We work with universities, external research organizations, and global business units to identify, develop and demonstrate innovative technology solutions, products, services and intelligent systems. We are looking for scientists and engineers who have a passion for innovation and a high tolerance for ambiguity. You must be an independent thinker and self-starter with a demonstrated ability to produce high-quality technical content by collaborating with fellow researchers and product specialists. You will have the opportunity to continuously develop and invent new technologies, products and processes. At UTRC, you'll be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that's moving fast to shape the future of technology - one full of career opportunities and the chance to contribute and grow in a variety of ways. We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best and brightest people from the broadest and most diverse talent pool possible, so that we can serve our customers globally. If you have ideas, inspiration and expertise to continue developing products and systems that make the world a better place to live, then we have a great opportunity for you to contribute to our continued legacy of innovation.
Position Summary (narrative)
UTRC seeks candidates with proven research credentials in Computer Vision to join the Control and Decision Support Group in Cork, Ireland. The mission of the group is to provide cutting edge technologies in image and video analytics in the aerospace domain with a broad area of applications in aircraft and engine data analytics, security access and surveillance systems, human behavior modelling and autonomous flight. The group has a successful track record with providing impact and solutions both internally to our business and externally to collaborative European and government funded projects. The right candidate will be able to demonstrate a strong mix of academic background and applied experience in machine learning, deep learning, data mining and processing methodologies, and a passion to extract value from data using cutting edge analysis and tools.
Our ideal candidates will have the ability to demonstrate:
- Research, design and prototype novel analytics algorithms utilizing data from multiple sensors
- Strong experience in object detection and tracking, activity and event detection and recognition, video/image segmentation and summarization
- Strong knowledge of machine learning methods in deep learning, statistical learning and state-of-the-art software tools (e.g. TensorFlow, Theano, Keras etc.)
- Potential to initiate, develop and execute research proposal opportunities in novel areas for EU/government funding
- Keeping ahead with the latest developments and fostering new ideas and new problem definitions
Additionally, the role requires working effectively in a multidisciplinary, multinational team environment focused on innovation and must be able to partner with leading academic institutions (university, government agencies and national labs) to further UTRC capabilities in computer vision. Communication skills and ability provide timely, accurate reports and presentations to senior management and functional teams is important.
Key Job Responsibilities (concrete, bulleted)
- Contribute to a growing research agenda for future aerospace systems within UTC's global research community.
- Execute R&D activities within an international research community, including technology development within collaborative EU research projects (under e.g. Horizon Europe, Clean Sky, ECSEL).
- Provide competitive advantage for UTC business units as part of a multidisciplinary and international team of experts.
- Contribute towards technical strategy and business development.
- Motivated self-starter with a strong enthusiasm to learn and passion for speed and agility.
- Well-organized and has excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills to work in international teams.
- Able to partner with universities, government agencies, national labs, and professional organizations to meet organizational objectives within time and budget constraints.
- Able to adapt to new challenges and go beyond the original field of expertise.
- Willing to champion and challenge new technical ideas.
Education & Experience (consistent with UTC Level guidelines, bulleted)
- A PhD in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, Mathematics with a few years of industrial or academic experience, or a Master's degree with significant experience of industry or academia.