Software Engineer Co-OpBusinesses United Technologies Corp. Headquarters Job ID 01369163 Date posted 12/09/2019 City Brooklyn State New York Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:UTNB1: Corp - Brooklyn NY 55 Water St, Brooklyn, NY, 11201 USA
We are seeking a highly motivated leader to be a Software Engineer, Data Applications and Services to join the United Technologies’ Digital Accelerator in Brooklyn, NY. You will play an active role in designing and building new backend applications, API’s and services to access data within a new Industrial IoT platform. In this position you will be exposed to all software system components, including the UI, backend systems, database, performance tuning, security design, and mobile and desktop deployment. You will have the ability to grow your experience and explore new technologies within our cross-collaboration team setting that is leading this digital transformation. This role will work closely with digital and UTC business unit cross-disciplinary teams, including design, operations, marketing and service delivery teams with a primary focus on the uncovering business value around Data.
This position will provide the unique opportunity to operate in a start-up-like environment within a Fortune 50 company. Out digital focus is geared towards releasing the insights inherent UTC’s best-in-class products and services. Together we aim to achieve new levels of productivity by changing the way we work and identifying new sources of growth for our customers.
- Design, Write and deploy services and API’s around a range of data stores
- Write high-quality server-side code, create robust high-volume production applications, and develop prototypes quickly
- Help lead the design, development, testing, deployment and maintenance of our software
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability, reliability and performance of our Big Data platforms and systems infrastructure at the core of United Technologies
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Collaborate with other engineers and product management to deliver scalable, resilient and secure solutions
- Ensure the reliability of systems critical to United Technologies users and businesses
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing beautiful, pragmatic code)
- Actively contribute to team and company standards
- Mentor junior team members
- hands-on development experience with one or more of the following: C, C++, Scala, Java, Go, Python (Willingness to prototype in and learn new languages/frameworks is a plus.)
- hands-on experience with a range of DBMS and formats both distributed and otherwise (i.e. Hive, Parquet, ORC, HBase, Oracle, Casandra…)
- Experience with Big Data Systems and Machine Learning a plus
- Experience in Agile, Git, application containerization, continuous integration/deployment
- Experience in designing and architecting distributed, highly available, highly performant, scalable big data applications and platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with the ability to well work in cross functional teams
- Results-oriented with strong communication and a desire to deliver business value
- Possesses a flexible attitude and is willing to work with a range of technologies and languages with an open mind and without bias.
- Motivated self-starter with a strong enthusiasm to learn, actively interested in updating skill sets and knowledge, following trends in the Development community
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms