Engineering Manager, ControlsBusinesses Carrier Job ID 01321135 Date posted 06/25/2019 City Ashland State Massachusetts Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:CAFMA: FS Kidde Fenwal Ashland MA 400 Main Street, Ashland, MA, 01721 USA
Fenwal Controls has been a leading OEM provider of Gas Ignition Control products and Temperature Controls. The company develops and delivers standard and custom engineered solutions for many industries including HVAC, Hydronics, commercial cooking, recreational vehicles, agricultural, industrial/specialty and fire protection. Our product range includes both microprocessor-based and electro-mechanical designs to give customers strict control of their temperature-dependent processes. Our gas ignition control systems are known for their superior reliability and cost-effectiveness. The proven product portfolio of embedded system controls includes a full range of standard and configurable products for controlling gas valves and the safe ignition of LP or natural gas burners.
This position will report to the Director of Engineering Global Suppression and Global Controls. There will have direct reports within the organization plus a dedicated offshore design team based in the Carrier engineering center in India. This role will add to the team as Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the area of hardware design for the overall organization and will support active engineering programs with a hands on approach. This role is responsible for driving innovation, value and sustaining engineering, developing a roadmap for programs and agency updates in the areas of: Hardware and software engineering for Gas ignition controls, mechanical temperature controls, cloud connectivity and internet of Things (IOT) integration. This role reports directly to the Director of Engineering for Global Suppression and Global Controls.
- Execute New Product Development and Sustaining Engineering projects to meet business unit growth objectives.
- Lead as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the area of hardware design for the overall team and will support active engineering programs with hands on approach.
- Drive innovation in product development that results in patentable designs.
- Identify and implement cost reduction opportunities (value engineering) within design and manufacturability that will benefit the profitability of the product
- Report results on key engineering initiatives to corporate senior management on periodic basis.
- Drive the implementation of standard process and best practices related to engineering and product development.
- Provide the necessary leadership to promote change throughout the organization and develop and lead a world class engineering organization.
- Recruit high performing individuals at all levels of the organization. Develop creative, innovative and cost effective strategies to recruit high potential talent.
- Manage all engineering activities within a department including innovation, budgeting, design, development, production implementation, and testing.
- Manage and drive all necessary actions for obtaining and maintaining appropriate product and agency certifications needed for industry purposes.
- Interface with HRDC, and CCS Innovation and Technology group to identify and mature relevant technologies for product development.
- Develop, coach, mentor and manage staff. Establish goals and objectives and develop measurable metrics to gauge achievement against goals.
- Design and develop embedded systems and electronic hardware. This includes all tasks from circuit design, debugging and testing, standard electrical board testing (HALT, ESD), environmental testing, to support the transition into manufacturing, and successful/reliable launch.
- Lead medium to large electrical engineering projects and coordinate activities from multiple functions (marketing, electrical, software, mechanical, production, service, and quality) to ensure projects are completed on schedule and within budget.
- Use electrical engineering CAD software for schematics and PCB layout.
- Operate all types of electrical test equipment (oscilloscopes, generators, logic analyzers, etc.) for design verification and engineering activities.
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering or Related Field. At least 5 years of experience developing embedded system electronics.
- An MBA or Masters degree in engineering is highly preferred. Must have a minimum of 5 - 10 years experience in engineering management within a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Expertise with, Microsoft Excel, Word, and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Familiarity with Solidworks and PDMWorks Enterprise.
- Must be willing to travel 10 percent as or as required.
- Must demonstrate ability to work and influence peers and upper management.
- Knowledge of analytical tools such as finite element analysis and design Failure mode and effect analysis (DFMEA).
- Compliance exposure to relevant agency and safety standards (UL, CSA, CE, FM, etc).
- The successful candidate for this position shall have clearly demonstrated competency in the following key behaviours:
- Someone who is comfortable making difficult choices with the conviction and confidence necessary to stand by such decisions.
- Technically competent; strategically and analytically minded with a detailed approach to operating in an engineering function worldwide, and capable of instilling the same attention to detail in his/her organization
- An excellent leader, able to select and develop talent and synergies.
- Highly professional with strong interpersonal skills; an articulate and highly effective communicator both written and verbal. This leader must be capable of developing a high degree of respect from a wide range of individuals.
- An aggressive, creative self-starter with a highly motivated approach.
- Comply with the EH and S Policy and applicable regulatory and company EH and S rules and requirements.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms