Tribology EngineerBusinesses PRATT & WHITNEY Job ID 74865BR Date posted 10/12/2018 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country US
Do you feel fulfilled when you help others succeed? Are you fascinated by the way the people learn and grow? Have you considered what it may be like to work at Pratt & Whitney? If so, we want to hear from you! We have an excellent opportunity for a talented Tribology Engineer to be based in East Hartford, CT.
Would you like to be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that’s moving fast to craft the future of aviation? Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As a part of our team you’ll help answer today’s challenges in powered flight while crafting and supporting tomorrow’s solutions.
As a recognized leading producer of the world’s most powerful jet engines, we strive to find dedicated individuals to support our organization. If you aspire to contribute to a dynamic environment and possess the motivation to convert new ideas into practice, this may be the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
Pratt & Whitney Materials and Processes Engineering (MPE) organization is looking for an engineer who can lead and support the development and implementation of advanced tribological materials and coatings for gas turbine engine applications. You will become part of a highly focused team in a high tech, dynamic and challenging environment. You will work at the interface of physical research and technical development of the technologies applied in the aerospace jet engines.
Technical responsibilities will include:
- Supporting rig and product testing, including data analysis and post-test characterization, of tribological materials and coatings
- Development and testing of lubricants for threaded fasteners followed by implementation into design systems
- Working with external vendors and internal partners to develop and standardize innovative testing procedures for tribological interfaces under various contact and environmental conditions
- Supporting development of physics-based analytical models in application to novel materials and coatings and their behavior during manufacturing and life cycle in jet engine
- Developing and executing project plans and cost estimates, meeting schedule achievements and reporting progress to senior management
- Support of production processes to meet business needs and customer requirements. Responsibilities would include root cause analysis, brainstorming solutions, implementing corrective actions, and ensuring elimination of root cause
- 10% travel
You will cooperate with multi-functional teams including Materials Development, Mechanical Systems, Global Services Engineering, Structures Discipline and Manufacturing, therefore, we desire an individual to have flexibility in thought and approach.
Qualification: To be successful in this position, you should have the following experience:
- BS degree in Material Science, Engineering Physics, Chemical Engineer or Applied Physics with Mechanical Engineering
- 4+ years Tribological experience
- US Person (Permanent Green Card or US Citizen) due to program requirements
- MS degree in Material Science, Engineering Physics, Chemical Engineer or Applied Physics with Mechanical Engineering with 2+ years’ of Tribology experience
- US Citizen
- Experience in data collection and management, data analysis methods and computational methods Experience with ACE/Continuous Improvement, Lean/Six Sigma tools
- Knowledge of and experience in high temperature tribology
- Solid lubricants knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of and/or experience in physics-based materials and processes models at different length and time scales and associated experimental research to understand material properties.
- Experience working with diverse teams and multi-years multidisciplinary programs
- Able to craft clear communication and cooperation with team members
- Excellent Judgment and professional maturity
- The ability to create positive relationships and be highly motivated
- BS degree in Material Science, Engineering Physics, Chemical Engineer or Applied Physics with Mechanical Engineering with 4+ years Tribiological experience is required OR
- MS degree in Material Science, Engineering Physics, Chemical Engineer or Applied Physics with Mechanical Engineering and 2+ years’ of Tribology experience (preferred)
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.