Assistant IP CounselBusinesses UTC AEROSPACE SYSTEMS Job ID 63462BR Date posted 04/10/2018 City Chula Vista State California Country US
When the global aerospace community looks for ideas and solutions to its biggest challenges, they turn to the people of UTC Aerospace Systems. We design, invent and deliver the most advanced and diverse range of aerospace systems on the market. We are inventors. We are manufacturers. We work in space exploration, commercial air travel, defense and rescue applications. Always learning and pushing the boundaries, we are an undisputed industry leader that continually sets the bar higher and higher. Come soar with us.
Every second a plane takes off with UTC Aerospace Systems equipment onboard. From space exploration and defense to today’s more electric, more intelligent, more integrated aircraft – our systems make modern flight possible. And by “make it possible,” we mean: we start it, power it, control it, ventilate it, quiet it, land it, stop it and monitor it. We have more than 41,000 employees across 150 countries working at the forefront of technological innovation. Thanks to their efforts, our global reach and our market-leading position, we do big things no one else can do.
The nature of our global business is complex, and we rely on our Legal, Contracts and Compliance (LCC) team to help us get the job done. As a valued partner across our business, the LCC team plays a key role in our company’s success. Our LCC team members bring their passion, expertise and humor to everything they do, from safeguarding our employees' creative ideas to helping us maintain the highest standards of ethical behavior. Enjoy working with diverse groups? Want opportunities to grow your career at a fast-paced, global enterprise? If you want to bring your legal expertise to the aerospace industry, our team could be a great fit for you.
UTAS is looking for a self-motivated, passionate attorney to manage Intellectual Property (IP) and technology related matters for UTC Aerospace Systems’ Aero structures business unit, a world leader in nacelle technology. You will be responsible for providing legal advice and counseling concerning strategic management of intellectual property assets including; patents, trade secrets, copyrights, industrial designs, trademarks and similar proprietary rights.
Summary of Duties:
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Driving IP engagement within the organization.
- Developing offensive and defensive IP strategies addressing enterprise business objectives, key technologies, and products under development.
- Providing proactive, concise and timely IP guidance to senior leadership, general legal counsel, contract support personnel, and all levels of the engineering and business organizations.
- Ensuring IP protection for relevant technologies.
- Monitoring third party patents in applicable technical areas. Analyzing infringement risks and validity.
- Drafting and negotiating various IP-intensive agreements, including development agreements, technical services agreements, software licenses, and non-disclosure agreements. Counseling management, general legal counsel and contract support personnel on IP aspects of other agreements, such as supply agreements, sales and service contracts, and acquisition agreements.
- Conducting IP due diligence with regard to acquisition targets.
- Implementing current tools and processes. Participating in continuous improvement activities.
- 5+ years of IP in-house experience required, preferably covering patent preparation & prosecution, transactional work, advice & counseling, and litigation. A track record of creating and adding value through the development and execution of strategic IP initiatives.
- Travel required. The travel will vary on what the division needs, but will likely be at least once a quarter. The travel will primarily be domestic and typically for less than a week at a time.
- Business-focused and pragmatic. Demonstrated ability to identify and explain risks or impediments to the business brought about by IP-related issues and in developing and clearly articulating strategies for overcoming these issues.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with ability to develop strong relationships with clients and peers in a dynamic environment
- A strong leader and individual contributor, with excellent judgment and professional maturity
- Self-motivated with strong work-ethic and project management skills
- Able to remain calm and composed under pressure, in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage cross-functional issues, recognize when to elevate or to bring other subject matter experts into discussions
- Experience in US government contracting, the aerospace industry and/or a large manufacturing company is a plus.
Due to federal regulation or contracting requirements, this position is only available to U.S. persons
Nothing matters more to UTC Aerospace Systems than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
Education and Certifications:
- J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited institution.
- Bar admission in one or more US state.
- Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.